1895 Eastern Iowa League
The 1895 Eastern Iowa League made a fairly successful start with six clubs, but Galesburg quickly dropped out and was soon followed by Waterloo. The remaining four clubs played along regularly until Aug. 26, when the disbandment of Cedar Rapids brought the season to a close. After the league folded, Dubuque and Burlington joined the Western Association.
News and Notes
- Proposed Eastern Iowa League - Cedar Rapids, Feb. 28. - Special: George S. Shugart is in the city on business connected with the organization of the proposed eastern Iowa base ball league. A meeting of the representatives in the cities interested will be held in Cedar Rapids during the coming week to organize the league. Dubuque, Cedar Rapids, Waterloo and Clinton have agreed to become members of the new league, and Rock Island will also be admitted. Other cities suggested for membership are Ottumwa, Davenport and Marshalltown or Burlington. Base ball men say the prospects for a successful league are encouraging. - Sioux City Journal - March 1, 1895
- Eastern Iowa League Organized to Play Ball - Cedar Rapids, Iowa, March 18. - The Eastern Iowa Base Ball League was organized here last week with the following cities members: Dubuque, Clinton, Davenport and Rock Island (as one club), Burlington, Cedar Rapids, Waterloo, Marshalltown and Galesburg, Ill. Thomas Loftus, of Dubuque, was elected president of the league; George S. Shugart, Dubuque, secretary, and T.S. Metcalf, Cedar Rapids, treasurer. A salary limit of $500 per month was adopted. The season will last four months, and opens May 10. - The Sporting Life - March 23, 1895, page 11
- The Eastern Iowa League Winds Up Its Season - The Cedar Rapids club of the Eastern Iowa League disbanded Aug. 26, thus leaving but three clubs in the League and compelling the end of the season. President Loftus has declared the Dubuque team champion. The Dubuques will play a series of exhibition games with the Burlington and Ottumwa clubs. - The Sporting Life - August 31, 1895, page 13
Sources / References
- 1896 The Victor Baseball Guide - page 144 at archive.org
- 1896 Spalding's - page 277 at Hathi Trust
- Johnson, Lloyd, and Wolff, Miles. Encyclopedia of Minor League Baseball, Baseball America, 2007, page 168
- various newspapers at GenealogyBank.com
- Sporting Life newspapers at LA84.org
This page was assembled and presented by Mark D. Aubrey.
Please see Copyright info.